Provide Spoak with 80 quality interior design-related 3D assets to grow their library, in addition to providing them with an animated tour of the completed layout for advertising and demonstration purposes.
Spoak, an online interior design studio, needed help growing its content library for members looking to lay out homes using its 3D design tool. Spoak caters to enthusiasts and professionals of all levels, empowering a less technical, more design-focused age of interior design. This project involved modeling and texturing over 80 assets in Maya and Mudbox, delivering Spoak the quality assets they needed to grow their library. Additionally, multiple cameras were animated to provide Spoak with an animated tour of the completed layout for advertising and demonstration purposes.
"Hours spent on Pinterest, Instagram, Etsy, Google; hundreds of tabs open at all times, just staring at products trying to envision them all in my space. I was drawing on a printed-out version of my floor plan and it was torn from eraser marks...It was a disaster."
Project success was essentially defined as building enough 3D models to fill a normal room, applying quality materials to all of them, applying adequate lighting, and arranging everything in a sensible, pleasing layout.
• Stage a full living room scene with elegant, harmonious interior design
• Create a set of furniture 3D models
• Create a set of structural 3D models
• Design 1:1 texture Targa files in PS
• Apply normal, alpha, incandescent, specular, and bump maps to UVs for most assets
• Combine structural models into a room layout with floors, walls, windows, etc.
• Stage furniture in tasteful arrangement
• Apply appropriate lighting setup
• Keyframe subtle camera animation
• Render final composition
• Assemble presentation in After Effects
1. Sketch layout
2. Assemble list of assets
3. Build two models: couch & coffee table
4. Sketch storyboards for animation
5. Build five models: lamp, chair, picture frame, door, and window
6. Assemble list of materials
7. Build all structural models: floor, walls, half-wall openings, doorways
8. Build any additional aesthetic pieces & refine all models (final touch-ups)
9. Apply materials
10. Stage all models into complete scene
11. Draft design process documentation
12. Adjust lighting and camera angles
13. Animate camera
14. Export rendered image sequence
15. Compose final product in After Effects
During the testing phase, a couple of people noted that the style of the bookshelf didn’t seem to match the rest of the room. This feedback was used to build more assets that incorporated a new approach, effectively blending Art Deco with Rustic styles. The coffee table, for example, was modeled to bridge the gap with its natural tree-trunk style base and blue epoxy glass. Decorative elements such as pottery, golden fish sculptures, potted plants, and an art deco rug were also incorporated to add intention to the room's aesthetic appeal.
This project involved modeling and texturing over 80 assets in Maya and Mudbox, delivering Spoak the quality assets they needed to grow their library. Additionally, multiple cameras were animated to provide Spoak with an animated tour of the completed layout for advertising and demonstration purposes.